Monday, September 10, 2012

Serious Side Effects from Popular Drug

Summer is supposed to be a time when things quiet down and life just goes a little slower.  Not so this summer!  Projects at work kept me so busy that I had little or no time to devote to blogging.  I'm hoping the lion's share of the project work is behind me and I can get back to the business at hand.  That is, the pursuit of information on health and wellness for the benefit of me and my readers.

Even though I have been too busy to devote time to blogging, I have been saving links as I ran across information in the hopes of finding a few minutes to share, but to no avail...until today.  I came across this article and felt the information was just too important to leave for later.

Perhaps you know Jane Brody, who is the Personal Health columnist for the New York Times.  Her mission is to look for ways to help people lead better lives.  Not a bad mission.  In her post this morning she reviewed the side effects of antibiotics known as fluoroquinolones.  You may know them by their brand names--Cipro, Levaquin and Avelox.


They are well known as the magic bullet of antibiotics, used against serious, life-threatening bacterial infections like hospital-acquired pneumonia.  However, what is less well known is the serious side effects of this drug.

Too often these drugs are prescribed for ailments that do not require this level of potency (sinusitis, bronchitis, earaches, etc.).  Jane tells the story of a patient diagnosed with mild pneumonia.  His doctor prescribed Levaquin, even after the patient expressed concerns.  The wide range of side effects from this drug were alarming and long-lasting.

These are the drugs that are blamed for the increase in two hard-to-treat infections--the antibiotic-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (known as MRSA) and severe diarrhea caused by Clostridium difficile. Moreover, Fluoroquinolones carry a “black box” warning mandated by the FDA that tells doctors of possible toxic effects on tendons. Consumers do not see this warning.  It is incumbent on the doctors to inform patients of such warnings.

I encourage you to read this article and, I've said it before, but I'll say it again.  Go online and research the drugs that are prescribed for you.  Understand the side effects and the impact they could have on your health.  This is your body, these are your decisions. Make sure they are informed decisions.

Here's a link to Jane's post:  http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/10/popular-antibiotics-may-carry-serious-side-effects/?ref=nutrition

In good health...

1 comment:

  1. it amazes me how many people will "swallow" anything their doctors prescribe or feel bullied into it.We have been conditioned societally to place medical " professionals" on a pedestal and not question- to our own detriment( and I am a nurse!)
    Perhaps it is easier to then blame someone else should we not have the desired effect.Taking responsibility for our own health is were I hope the next generation is leading us to.

    ReplyDelete